I've been an avid (obsessive) reader and writer since I was old enough to know what a book is. I grew up devouring every fantasy novel I could find, and when I wasn't reading I was writing fanfiction or immersing myself in text-based online role-play – a career working with words was inevitable
After studying Modern Languages & Literature at Oxford University, I started out in publishing as a Managing Editor at Taylor & Francis. I took a hiatus to complete an MA (my dissertation was the partial translation of a Portuguese fantasy novel, which taught me a lot about wordsmithing – believe me), after which I spent several years editing English language teaching materials for Oxford University Press.
I set up my freelance business in 2013 and now focus on editing sci-fi, fantasy, thriller, horror, romance, literary and LGBTQ fiction. I work for independent authors as well a publishers including Pan Macmillan, Black Library, Skyhorse Publishing, New Terrain Press and Vulpine Press.
As an Advanced Professional Member of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders, I'm dedicated to maintaining the highest standards, and part of that is professional development. Recent training courses and events include:
- Developmental Editing of Fiction: Advanced (Editorial Freelancers Association)
- Developmental Editing of Fiction: Intermediate (Editorial Freelancers Association)
- Introduction to Fiction Editing (Society for Editors and Proofreaders)
- Editing with Word (Society for Editors and Proofreaders)
- Point of View and Narrative Voice (webinar, The Writers' Academy)
- Education, education, education (SfEP conference 2018)
- Context is key: why the answer to most questions is ‘It depends’ (SfEP conference 2017)
- Let's Talk About Text (SfEP conference 2016)
I live near Birmingham, UK, with my husband and our hyperactive Labradors (obligatory photo above), and I balance the inner bookworm with dog walking all around the British countryside, the odd MMORPG and my fair share of TV box sets.