Previously published and unpublished authors may submit texts providing that the submissions are unpublished works. There must be only one author per entry.
All works that have appeared in print or on the Internet, including self-published works, as well as works that have been broadcast or delivered in front of a public audience, are considered previously published and are therefore not eligible for the competition. You must be 18 to enter.
Entrants warrant they have created the entry they are submitting and that they own all rights to it. Entrants will indemnify and hold Almond Press and their affiliates harmless from and against any and all loss, damage, costs and other expense arising out of claims, whatever their nature, resulting directly or indirectly from breach of this warranty.
In submitting their work, each participant grants Almond Press the following licences free of charge and irrevocably:
- The right to translate an excerpt from the work submitted (no more than 15% of its total length)
- The exclusive right to reproduce and publish the work submitted on the websites and platforms controlled or authorized by Almond Press, both in the original language and in translation
- The exclusive right to reproduce and publish the work submitted in trade paperback format, both in the original language and in translation
- The exclusive right to record by means of any existing or not-yet-invented technology, to distribute and broadcast readings of excerpts from the work in the original language or in translation, on Almond Press networks and websites/platforms controlled or authorized by Almond Press
In accepting a prize winners grant Almond Press for the entire term of all rights, the following licences, exclusive for a year from the date of acceptance of the prize and non-exclusive thereafter, for all territories throughout the world, unless another agreement is reached with Almond Press:
- The right to translate the work
- The right to reproduce and publish it on the websites and platforms controlled or authorized by Almond Press, both in the original language and in translation.
- The right to reproduce and publish the work submitted in trade paperback format, both in the original language and in translation
- The right to make an audio/video recording by means of any existing or not-yet-invented technology, to distribute and broadcast readings of works or excerpts there from in the original language or in translation, on Almond Press networks and websites/platforms controlled or authorized by Almond Press
- The right to edit, abridge or excerpt the work for the purposes of publication or broadcast. The author will be consulted if significant edits are necessary.
Short Story Competition Deadline: July 15th
Works are judged anonymously on the basis of the author’s use of language, originality of subject and writing style. Submissions are processed by a two-tiered system of readers and jurors.
The initial texts are screened by readers chosen from a group of qualified editors and writers. Each text is read by two readers. The readers come up with a longlist of 20-30 texts that are then forwarded to the jury who decide on a shortlist including a first-place winner and runners-up. The members of the jury composed of writers and editors from the European creative writing community.
Every effort is made to achieve a balance of gender and diversity in the readers and judges and to reflect regional differences and trends.
Jurors and readers in each category will be chosen by Almond Press.
All decisions by the readers and the jury are final. Readers’ and jurors’ names are confidential to ensure the judging process remains blind.
First prize: 100 GBP
Publication of the shortlisted works in electronic and paperback format.
Visibility provided by Almond Press to winners and their work on one or more of its platforms.
Participants may win only one prize per competition. Participants maintain ownership of their works, although rights to reproduce and distribute them to the public are limited by the licences granted according to these rules.
Prizes shall be accepted as is, and may not be exchanged or transferred. No substitutions shall be allowed.
Payment of prize money to participants residing outside the UK will be made via Paypal.
If a prize cannot be awarded as described in these rules Almond Press reserves the right to substitute one or more prizes or prize components with another of approximately equivalent value.
To be proclaimed winners, participants must meet all the conditions set out in these rules.
The winners shall sign a declaration of eligibility for the competition, as set out in these rules, and release Almond Press and their affiliated companies or agents, as well as their respective directors, officers and employees, from any liability for damage or loss whatsoever, whether arising from the participants’ involvement in this competition or from the awarding, acceptance or use of the prize.
A winner’s refusal to accept a prize shall release Almond Press and their affiliated companies or agents, as well as their respective directors, officers and employees, from all obligations towards the winner.
Should participants make any false statement, they shall be automatically disqualified from the competition. If plagiarism is alleged the participant shall be disqualified and shall return the prize money. Such a decision by the jury shall be final and cannot be appealed.
Almond Press and their affiliates, as well as their respective directors, officers and employees, shall assume no liability resulting from losses, delays, mistaken addresses on mail or e-mail received, typographical errors, technical, computer or telephone malfunctions, loss or theft of computer or telephone data, damage to software or computer equipment, fraudulent calls or any other mistake.
Almond Press and their affiliates shall assume no liability of any kind whatsoever in any cases in which their inability to act results from an event or situation beyond their control, including more particularly a strike, lock-out or any other labour dispute in their place of business or the places of business of the organizations or businesses whose services are used to hold this competition.
All personal information, such as your name, address, telephone number, email address, year of birth and occupation, is collected solely for the purposes of administering this competition and shall not be used for any other purpose without your consent. By providing this information, you consent to it being used for the stated purposes.
By entering, participants agree to abide by the competition rules which shall be applied by Almond Press. All its decisions are final and without appeal.
Documents should be formatted as follows:
- Double-spaced text
- Left and right hand margins of at least 2cm
- First line of paragraphs indented
- Single quotation marks (‘) instead of double (“)
- Pages numbered.
- Please put title and author name in the header for each page.
- Please include a word count.
- Stories should be saved in .doc or .docx format
Failure to submit manuscripts in this manner may lead to disqualification. Stories that exceed 5000 words will not be read.